West Palm Beach, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: My wife took our 5 year old out of state without my knowledge or approval. She appears to want a divorce. Custody?

I want custody of my child. I raised my son from 2 years old on my own from

My previous marriage. I will likely keep the child’s home. Cam this be done ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tami Lane Augen
Tami Lane Augen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • West Palm Beach, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you believe that your Wife removed the minor child from the state of Florida and intends to keep him out of the state and seek a divorce, I would strongly recommend that you immediately consult with counsel. While travel out of state is one thing, leaving the state with the intent to remain out of state and, possibly, obtain a residence somewhere else is something that could cause serious jurisdictional issues if you wait. Any attorney that you consult with will be able to discuss the concepts of timesharing, parental responsibility, and parenting plans.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.