Jefferson, OH asked in Criminal Law and Animal / Dog Law for Ohio

Q: Our bearded dragon was taken from my ex fiance at the hospital and the shelter gave him to me do I have to give him back

She was taken to the hospital the police and hospital took the dragon and placed him in a shelter a few days later they released the bearded dragon to me and I have him registered as my esa can they take him from me or press charges

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If the pet belongs to her, then you need to return it. She paid for it I presume? If you keep property that does not belong to you it is criminal theft and you can serve time in jail. Additionally, she can sue you civilly for monetary damages she incurs because of your actions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.