Jonesboro, AR asked in Employment Law for Arkansas

Q: Terminated while hospitalized.

My brother is a 72 y/o male, he had a collapsed lung the last part of April this year and was of work for a week, Ihe had another collapsed lung June 11th and was in ICU for about 6 days then in a regular room 7 days and now in rehab to learn to walk again, His employer called me (I was staying with him while hospitalized), and asked me how (without hurting his rehab progress) he could tell him that he was firing and replacing him the 1st of July. Is this legal?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: More information is needed, as this will depend on what your brother's job is and what his essential job functions are, as well as how long he is expected to remain off work while undergoing rehab. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, disabled employees are permitted to request accommodations that enable them to perform their job, and employers may not discriminate against employees based on a disability. However, accommodation requests must be reasonable, and courts have held that employers need not hold open an employee's job for an indefinite period of time. For example, if your brother is required to remain off work for an extended period of time, his employer could argue that leaving his position unstaffed will jeopardize the business.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.