Pooler, GA asked in Probate for Texas

Q: Taxes on land in a trust.

My mother has land in a trust given to her by my grandmother. Her brother, my uncle, is my grandmothers power of attorney and executor of her will. He is trying to force my mom to pay the taxes on the land now, even though it does not yet belong to her. He says if she doesn’t he will not pay them from my grandmothers account. Will he be required to pay those taxes from her estate in probate court before the rest is given to beneficiaries? Can he try to deduct the taxes from my mothers share of the estate? My grandmother lives in Texas, my mother lives in Georgia. The land is in Ohio.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Isaac Shutt
Isaac Shutt
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Richardson, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It really depends on the trust itself. In order to answer this, we would need to know more about the trust itself. Get a copy of the trust and then schedule a consultation with a trust attorney in Texas. You might be pleasantly surprised at how easy and affordable it is to get a good legal answer to this question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.