East Orange, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: My son has a baby, doesnt want a relationship wjth but wants to provide for him. What's the best way to do this

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Millburn, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Legally, even if he doesn't want a relationship with his child, he still has an obligation to provide child support for him, health care assistance and contribution to work related child care. As a general statement, to determine the amount of child support your son should pay, the state of New Jersey has guidelines where both parents provide their respective gross income information ( from all sources), identify who is paying for health insurance coverage for the child, the actual cost of the child's share of that coverage ( if any), the cost of work related child care, support requirements for other children ( if any) and the overnight parenting time plan. With that information, the guidelines will tell your son what he should be paying for child support and the guidelines will also identify the ratio of their respective share of income to determine their respective share obligation towards the cost of the mothers work related child care and their respective share obligation towards unreimbursed health care costs for the child. If your son wants to pay what he should be paying for the child's support, he would follow this format to make that determination. If the mother does not want to cooperate with this process and has not taken him to court to compel payment of child support, he can still either file his own application with the court to determine his obligation or he can follow the format above, determine how much he should be paying, let the mother know that he is prepared to pay and if she does not respond, then he can pay the money into an account each week for the child and in the future, if the mother does come back to him asking him for money, he can turn over all of the money set aside for the child to him ( or to her on his behalf).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.