Parsippany, NJ asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New Jersey

Q: Can a shared custody order be transferred to nj from NY since the mother now lives in nj? 15 minutes from me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Andrew Conte
Michael Andrew Conte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Princeton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Until you have a new order, the outstanding order is in effect. The jurisdiction of which court would be the right forum to modify your custody order would depend on where you, the mother of the child, and the child presently resides. If you need to update the order or don't know if you need to register the order in a new state, contact a family law attorney in the state where the original order was entered.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.