Pompano Beach, FL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: Child support modification. How does a judge usual determine how much should be paid monthly on arrears?

My child father and I can’t come to an agreement on how much he should pay monthly for child support arrears. He owes about 30000 in arrears and base on our income going forward he would be paying very little for support going forward. He lost his job and our income is somewhat the same. I will only be receiving 180 dollars a month and I was hoping that since he owes so much in arrears he should pay more but of course he doesn’t want to give me a thing. He recently had a baby so I know this might also be a factor but is there a percentage of what is being owed is used to help the judge determine what he should pay in arrears? 180 dollars is nothing to take care of a child. She is with my majority of the time and he hardly comes to see her. It’s really unfair. I’m not sure if I should settle with his offer because I’m afford if I ask for more a job might make it be less than what I was hoping for. He owes so much but he only wants to give 75 for arrears so I will only be receiving 255

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: 1. Stop trying to "negotiate" with the father of your child. (That won't work and you know it.)

2. If you had a divorce lawyer you should ask him to help you.

3. If you did not have a divorce lawyer you should find one and hire them right now.

4. If you were divorced in Florida, the judge you had still has jurisdiction over your child and must be involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.