Columbus, OH asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Ohio

Q: How can I get Divorce, custody, child / spousal support help?

Hi, I'm a stay at home mom to 4 kids including a breastfed infant. My husband works 12 hours a day and 3 days off, but is not present when home as he smokes weed outside for hours on end. Or he's asleep because of medical issues and can't be woken up. I have a support system and do all child care / house care. How would custody work, I'm afraid they wont be cared for properly with him. He's threatened to keep the house and kids because he's the one working and says he'll never pay spousal because I have a degree and don't need it. I have no access to his bank accounts and am afraid and don't know what to do. Please help.

1 Lawyer Answer
William Lehner
William Lehner
  • Grove City, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You should talk privately with a divorce lawyer. Don't be afraid. From what you said, it is most likely that it is in the best interest of the children for them to be with you. A Guardian Ad Litem can be appointed who would probably say that the kids should not be with a pot head. He would have to pay support because you do all the childcare.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.