Manchester, PA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I was acquitted of a crime on appeal. I had been order to pay restitution.

What is the controlling case law or statue in Pennsylvania that requires the court to return the money to the Defendant.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Charles William Michaels
Charles William Michaels
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Baltimore, MD

A: I don't know if any restitution you have paid can be refunded to you, if you have won on appeal. Perhaps you need to file a motion with the trial court, attached the appellate decision, and request a hearing.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Ask your attorney.

The Probation office should have procedures for you to request the restitution. If not , then you need to contact the Pennsylvania Civil Liberties Union, ask to speak with the prison rights project, then ask them your question and if they don't know ask if they can give you the names of some of their "cooperating attorneys.

Here's a general resource but it doesn't seem to cover your situation"

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.