Winter Garden, FL asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Domestic Violence for Florida

Q: I'm 17 and wish to runaway with my older boyfriend, we need some advice?

My family has always been very abusive, and as of recently it has gotten worse. They aren't this way to another sibling of mine so I don't want to risk that sibling going into foster care if I call child services. I'm 17 and I have a boyfriend above the age of majority who wishes to help me escape my family. Is there any way he could get in trouble or I could get in trouble even though I turn 18 in a few months?

1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Depending on his age, he could be accused of "sexual battery" (called statutory rape in most places), if they suspect he is having sex with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.