Reston, VA asked in Real Estate Law for Virginia

Q: I want to delete my late wife and add my fiancee to my Virginia house title. What is the simplest way?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers

A: I think that the easiest way to remove your late wife's name will be to quit claim the house to your fiancee. If your wife's "estate" was probated (or might still be in probate), you can quit claim the house to your fiancee as the executor of your late wife's estate. If your late wife's "estate" wasn't probated and there's still time, do her probate and appoint the person she wanted to be the executor/trix of her Will. If you are her surviving spouse, the house should be vested in you and then you can quit claim it to your fiancee. Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.