Princeton, TX asked in Child Support for Mississippi

Q: Support emancipation ends in 4 months. (MS) Should I began the process of termination now. Who do I contact to start it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: If the emancipation is due to the child reaching the age of 21, there is really nothing for you to do. If the child support is being taken out via a withholding order and/or DHS is collecting the money each month, you may want to contact that agency to ensure that they are aware that the child is about to age out. If you have an arrearage, you will continue to pay until the arrearage is satisfied. If DHS is not involved and the money is being sent directly to the custodial parent, you may want to contact the personnel department at your employment to make sure they understand that nothing should be deducted starting the first day of the first month following the child’s 21st birthday.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.