Winter Garden, FL asked in Uncategorized for Maryland

Q: Is there anything that can be done or it will be all for nothing again?

When I was 13 yes old in Puerto Rico, I had my biological father go to court for abuse and molesting. My sister as well. There’s a lot more but I don’t want to say it here. Nothing was done, he still free like nothing happened. We want to know if we proceed with the case now that we feel kind of ready. will something really be done or it’s just going to be all the same?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If all the acts of your father occurred in Puerto Rico, the the law in Puerto Rico determines what you can and cannot do. Many states and jurisdictions have enacted laws giving victims of sexual abuse the right to sue their molesters many years after they turn 18. Whether you are within the statute of limitations under the laws of Puerto Rico will require that you ask this question of lawyers licensed there. Re-post your question and select Puerto Rico as the geographic area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.