Tucson, AZ asked in Employment Law for Nevada

Q: If an employee quits or gets fired and the uniform is dirty is the company allowed to charge said employee for cleaning?

And that also goes with if the employee doesn't turn in their uniform the employer withholds their check or just charges them for the shirts for example so they can get there check. And I've known this company to withhold checks because paperwork hasn't been turned in.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Employers may take deductions from your paychecks for these things, but the deduction cannot be so much that it brings your average hourly rate of pay below your state's minimum wage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.