Dayton, OH asked in International Law and Probate for Ohio

Q: My Canadian husband died intestate in Ohio. I'm a US citizen. We had no children. He has 1 adult child in Canada.

His Canadian estate consists of the contents of a storage container of household goods in BC and stock in a Canadian company at the time of his death. He was a resident of BC prior to joining me in Ohio. He did not own any vehicles, bank accounts or real estate in Canada. His US estate consists of personal property (household goods) and intellectual property (photos and original music compositions). We had a joint US checking account and owned our house with right of survivorship. I brought all other property into the relationship. The total value of his estate is approximately $15,000 USD, none of which is cash. He left medical bills and other debts totalling approximately $75,000 to $100,000. How do I go about settling his estate?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: A detailed analysis of all the pertinent facts is necessary before anyone can give you a definitive answer. I recommend sitting down with a probate attorney in your area for a full consultation.

Mary Ellen Leslie agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.