Denver, CO asked in Immigration Law for Kentucky

Q: Under form I-864, are there any restrictions on whether people with past felonies can act as a Joint Sponsor?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: A joint sponsor is someone who is willing to accept legal responsibility for supporting your family member with you. A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as you, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant.

Under the Adam Walsh Act, one such requirement is that the petitioner must pose no risk to the safety or well-being of the beneficiary, which includes the principal beneficiary and any alien derivative beneficiary. Factors that should be considered include, but are not limited to, the following:

· The nature and severity of the petitioner’s specified offense(s) against a minor, including all facts and

circumstances underlying the offense(s);

· The petitioner’s criminal history;

· The nature, severity, and mitigating circumstances of any arrest(s), conviction(s), or history of alcohol

or substance abuse, sexual or child abuse, domestic violence, or other violent or criminal behavior that may

pose a risk to the safety or well-being of the principal beneficiary or any derivative beneficiary;

· The relationship of the petitioner to the principal beneficiary and any derivative beneficiary;

· The age and, if relevant, the gender of the beneficiary;

· Whether the petitioner and beneficiary will be residing either in the same household or within close

proximity to one another; and

· The degree of rehabilitation or behavior modification that may alleviate any risk posed by the petitioner

to the beneficiary, evidenced by the successful completion of appropriate counseling or rehabilitation

programs and the significant passage of time between incidence of violent, criminal, or abusive behavior

and the submission of the petition.

IF you have any questions as to whether the felony in this joint sponsor's situation would cause a problem, you should consult with an experienced immigration attorney. Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.