Houston, TX asked in Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: How long does a legal ad in a paper have/need to be published for?

My daughter wants to change her last name to mine, her mom, she’s 14 almost 15. I have filed the petition and a hearing has been set. I know he lives in the city but that’s it. I was told to publish it in the paper so he has the opportunity to object. He’s not really in her life and not in a good place anyway. I just don’t want to mess this up for her. I’ve asked her multiple times if this is what she really wanted before I filed the papers and she said yes every time

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: In addition to publication you may need to also serve the father notice. Name changes are covered by 12 O.S. Sec 1631. If you are not sure what to do or how to do it, you can save a lot of time and frustration by hiring an attorney to help you.

Best of luck!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.