Annapolis, MD asked in Uncategorized for Maryland

Q: Can a sheriff threaten to put me in jail and have me evicted because I don’t know where a wanted person is?

The person is legally my husband we are currently separated. He has a parole retake warrant that they are trying to serve and they have been to my house twice the last time they came they pushed my door open as I was answering and told me I’d go to jail too. I have three children and he left me a voicemail that I was suppose to call him and he will contact the rental property and I’ll lose my place and then said you have 3 children I don’t think you want that.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Three observations: (1) if you are harboring a fugitive (e.g., he's living with you and you are allowing him to hide out and conceal his whereabouts), or you are secretly providing him money and a car, etc., then you could be charged criminally for doing those things; (2) you are under no obligation whatsoever to cooperate and assist any law enforcement in their efforts to locate your husband, and in fact, as his legal spouse, you have the absolute privilege not to testify in response to a subpoena or give testimony under oath in a court of law against your husband in any proceeding, civil or criminal; and (3) hire a lawyer to immediately send written demand for the Sheriff/law enforcement to cease and desist harassing you in your home or making threats they have no basis to support, and to go to court if necessary to stop any illegal harassment or entries into your home. Keep in mind, however, that they may pursue a fugitive based on reasonable suspicion and probable cause to believe he is present inside a home or building, but they need to have present facts on which to base their reasonable suspicion and exigent circumstances that requires immediate entry without a warrant where his flight is likely or imminent (e.g., no time to get a warrant).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.