Lake Villa, IL asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: Is there a template or instructions on a correct way to write and file a counterclaim to a disolution of marriage petiti

I am in illinois. I cannot find a form to fill out and file for a counterclaim to a dissolution of marriage petition anywhere. Is there any instructions for someone pro se could get some help with this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Is is identical to a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, except it is called a Counter-Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. The parties are referred to as Petitioner and Counter-Respondent and Respondent and Counter-Petitioner. This is both in the caption and throughout the document.

If you are past the time for filing your Appearance and Response, you have to present a Motion for Leave to file a Counter-Petition for Dissolution of Marriage and then pay a filing fee (which costs the same as what it cost to file the original Petition for Dissolution.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.