The Villages, FL asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Florida

Q: So what forms do I need to terminate my ex's parental rights over our two children? My ex is for this!

My ex is in prison he has been there for a few years and will remain there for many more years the children will be in their late teens/adults when he gets out. He was never really involved in their life beforehand and is all for terminating his rights and allowing my husband to adopt children! My husband has been in their lives for years and was there at the birth of my and my ex's youngest. He is the best stepdad ever and the children know him as dad and my ex's family also call him their dad since he has done everything for them since entering our lives. So now we are all in agreement to let him adopted children! We just aren't sure what forms we need too do this. Also not sure if it helps or not but there is no dad listed on their birth certificates I didn't put anyone down as being the father, just my information. Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend! :)

1 Lawyer Answer
Camila Martin
Camila Martin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Miami Lakes, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should consult with an attorney to determine if a Step-Parent Adoption can be done in your case. If you and the biological Father are in agreement with your husband adopting the children, there should not be any major issues with the adoption process.

DISCLAIMER: The answer provided here do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made are based on the limited facts you have provided and are general statements that might not be applicable to your case based on other factors. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and you should consult with a local attorney. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in the State of Florida. Camila Martin, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.