Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Texas

Q: How do I get a case dismissed that I was indicted for in 1998 after finding out the indictment was wrong?

In 1998 I was sentenced to 5yrs probation for failure to register, after pulling the record and the true bill of indictment

I realized that the reportable conviction they used to get the indictment I was never convicted of nor was I ever charged with this crime. After all the years that have passed what would be my next move outside of hiring a $30,000 lawyer?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If anyone can fix the conviction, it will be an expert in criminal appeals, and that will be expensive. However, if you were granted a pardon by the Governor of Texas, then you could file for an expunction of the records. That might be just as good of a result, depending on your goals.

It is my understanding that pardons are forgiveness for an offense rather than a means of undoing a false conviction but couldn't tell you why I think that and wouldn't bet $1 that it is accurate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.