Bronx, NY asked in Bankruptcy and Real Estate Law for Massachusetts

Q: Opened a home equity loan with a large credit union for 120k on 5-1-2008 Last pymnt made 5-1-2013 how do I clear title

The debt isn't on either credit report anymore  but it is still showing on the title search that quicken has pulled.

Do you have ant idea how we would fix this in order to complete a refinance

We never filed bankruptcy but probably should have


Worcester Massachusetts

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Simonian
Robert Simonian
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Fall River, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: It sounds like this is a second mortgage and is recorded at the registry of deeds. This debt would be secured by your property if that is the case. The only way to be able to refinance is to either pay the debt in full or to try to negotiate a lump sum settlement amount and have the lender remove the lien after payment. You may have some options in a chapter 13 bankruptcy. You should definitely consult with a qualified bankruptcy attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.