Aurora, IL asked in Energy, Oil and Gas for Oklahoma

Q: I have a mineral deed for a producing well in Oklahoma that has a term interest of 99 years that is about to expire.

My question is in Oklahoma if a well is producing shouldn't it continue? What is the law regarding a producing well?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James Tack Jr
James Tack Jr
  • Energy, Oil & Gas Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Whether the term interest continues past the 99 year term is dependant on the exact wording in the instrument which created the interest. There are fixed term interests. For example "for a term of 99 years." And there are interests which continue for as long as there is production from the land. For example " for a term of 99 years, and as long thereafter as there is production of oil or gas from the land." You should have an oil and gas attorney review the instrument which created the term interest to determine when the interest will expire.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.