Pennsville, NJ asked in Family Law and Civil Rights for New Jersey

Q: Can i be emanispated at the age of 17 because of a verbal abusive guardian in Nj?

I have a job and am getting a good amount of money. I am in school still but will any of this interfere with getting emanispated. Even if i continue to go to school and take care of myself.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
  • Short Hills, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Before deciding you need to be emancipated, go online and do a google search on available social services for teen counseling programs in your area to help prepare you for a change in your life. Counseling can help you better handle the abusive communications, assist you in understanding what monies may be available to you to pay for a college or trade school education after high school, housing, etc. Take advantage of the services available, which is the first step to proving that you are closer to the level of maturity needed to be emancipated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.