Oklahoma City, OK asked in Probate for Oklahoma

Q: How do I address the courts that my husband didn't die single & we currently live in our home we bought several yes ago.

He had no will & I wasn't added to the deed on our home. Myself & kids have lived in our home & currently still do. Husband has 1remaining heir and to their belief he passed away single when in fact he did not. Probate court date is days away & I need to know how to address the court or if I just go to the court date hearing. I can't afford an attorney & can't get legal aide to get back w me despite them telling me to bear w them till they figure out what I need to do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anna L Self
Anna L Self
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Yes, you need to go to the Court hearing and tell the Judge what you posted. If you have your marriage license take it to the hearing, so you can prove you are married and a copy of the deed to show that the home was purchased after the marriage. If you don't have the documents, just tell the Judge you are married to him, but its better to have proof since you are pro se.

Probate can be complicated so you need an attorney. You can ask for a continuance to allow time for legal aid to assist you. Keep calling Legal Aid. Good luck!

James Tack Jr and David A. Cincotta agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.