Asked in Divorce for Massachusetts

Q: How do I file for divorce if I am only in the USA for five months?

I am german, my husband is american living in PA. I will be in MA in Septmeber on a J1 student visa. Since we seperated in January he has been stalking and threatening me so i want to file for a divorce and restraining order as soon as i get to the US. As i do not meet the residency requirements in MA to file for a divorce, is there any other way to go about it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you are being threatened- placed in fear of your safety by husband while you are here in Massachusetts you can potentially obtain an abuse protection order from the district court for the location where you are staying seeking restraint that he not contact you and stay away from your home, school or workplace. It sounds like the divorce would be filed in PA--or maybe Germany if that is where you both were living.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.