Houston, TX asked in Estate Planning, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: I'll shorten down my question that I asked earlier should I file for a quit claim deed playing adverse poss or what?

I just want to be able to have a place to lay my head I don't need a lot I don't care if I have to go without electricity or water this is all I have left of my family is this house all my family's deceased I've either buried or cremated 98% of my family in the last 10 years I need help I don't want to do this house I know you you're very busy people and I hate bothering people and I don't expect anybody to do anything for free I just I'm disabled I have nowhere to turn I have no friends or family here to help me I'm sorry for bothering you , if I don't find a solution by September most likely to start foreclosure proceedings and always the house and be throwing that on the streets I can't even proof who I am you get into the shelter because I was robbed but that's a story for another day once again I'm sorry for bother you

1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It sounds like you are having difficulty paying the mortgage and are trying to avoid foreclosure. A quit claim deed won't help in that situation (it doesn't even convey the land in Texas, and should virtually never be used).

An adverse possession claim is a way of acquiring property, but won't remove the mortgage lien.

If you can sell the property, hopefully you can get enough to pay off the debt, and you may be able to find a buyer who wants the property as an investment, and lease it back from them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.