Mason, OH asked in Car Accidents for Ohio

Q: My underage son was in a car accident the insurance was is ready to settle and the lawyer is saying his case will go to

I'm his legal guardian why would it go into probate until he turns 18?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Lewis Eisner
Michael Lewis Eisner
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: When someone under the age of 18 gets a settlement in Ohio, the probate court in the county in which the minor lives has jurisdiction over the settlement. The court will review the settlement, and approve it if it seems fair. It will also act to preserve the minor's money, and put restrictions on what the funds can be spent on. When the minor turns 18, the court will release the funds to the child (new adult). I hope this helps you understand, and answers your questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.