Greenville, SC asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Support for South Carolina

Q: I live with my girlfriend our son and her daughter from another marriage we have been together for 6 years

I live with my girlfriend we have a son together and she has a daughter which I never adopted I am the only one that works in the household my question is would I have to pay alimony if we split I'm ok with child support also would she be able to take him out of state I have also decided I would give her the car since we only have one and help out with insurance

1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: Alimony is only awarded in cases for divorce; if you are not legally married, then you would not have a divorce case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.