Q: Can I be put on 6 months misdemeanor probation with $600 fine for poss of marijuana when it was less than a gram (.2g)

I was a passenger in a car. We were initially stopped by 2 city officers for the window tint. We're were immediately pulled out of the vehicle and searched. I had to tiny pieces of weed in my pocket. Not even a gram .2 grams to be exact. I plead not guilty. The judge set me a court date. Once I was in court they put me on 6 months nonadjudicated probation with $600 in fines plus the monthly probation fee and once completed I have to pay $200 to have it expunged. My record was clean until this. I have only been arrested once and it was for driving on suspended. The maximum fine is only $250. How can they do this?

1 Lawyer Answer
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Madison, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: They can if you ended up pleaded guilty or were found guilty by the court. The good news, though, is that at the of this the 6 months, your record will be expunged and it will not even show up on your record. The bad news is that you only get one bite at the apple when it comes to getting nonadjudication for this particular offense.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.