Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Mississippi Cannabis & Marijuana Law Questions & Answers
Q: Can I be put on 6 months misdemeanor probation with $600 fine for poss of marijuana when it was less than a gram (.2g)

I was a passenger in a car. We were initially stopped by 2 city officers for the window tint. We're were immediately pulled out of the vehicle and searched. I had to tiny pieces of weed in my pocket. Not even a gram .2 grams to be exact. I plead not guilty. The judge set me a court date. Once... Read more »

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Aug 10, 2021

They can if you ended up pleaded guilty or were found guilty by the court. The good news, though, is that at the of this the 6 months, your record will be expunged and it will not even show up on your record. The bad news is that you only get one bite at the apple when it comes to getting... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law and Traffic Tickets for Mississippi on
Q: Can a cop pull someone over because it appears they have no seatbelt, then give tickets for marijuana and paraphernalia?

Someone I know got pulled over for appearing to have no seatbelt, when they had one on the whole time. After being pulled over, the cop smelled marijuana and the person was honest and showed him, he had 2.5 grams and also the pipe he hit it out of. The cop issued 2 tickets, in pencil, possession of... Read more »

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Jul 21, 2021

Likely not, unless it is absolutely established that the officer was lying. Typically, an officer can pull someone over for any traffic violation or perceived traffic violation. Afterwards, such as in a situation like this, if a person volunteers information about possessing a controlled substance,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Mississippi on
Q: Possession charge flowood ms, I notice at the bottom I swear to show up on or before the court date, can I just pay fine

Ahead of time instead of going in front of court?

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Jan 2, 2021

Maybe. However, I would highly encourage you to reach out to a lawyer to see whether there is a way to keep this off of your record.

1 Answer | Asked in Cannabis & Marijuana Law for Mississippi on
Q: What's does 3years in custody of mississippi department of corrections two years suspended 1 Year isp 5years supervised
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Dec 14, 2020

It sounds like the overall sentence would be 8 years, with three to serve; however, without actually seeing the sentencing order, it is hard to determine how much time would actually be served. From my initial glance of what you are saying, it sounds like there would be no time to serve, and... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.