Asked in Car Accidents for Texas

Q: i wasnt given any issurance information from the other person nor the cop when i feel as if the other party who hit my

vehicle actually were over the speed limit on the road and i could of made my turn if he was going the speed limit since i was already turning and about half way in the turn when he hit the breaks and swerved side to side and then hit my truck on the side which spun my 2001 chevy silverado 4x4 2500 truck a complite 180 into the ditch next to the street i was turning into and he had if im not mistaking a ford f150 or a smaller chevy truck older model and he totaled both mine and his but i was the one who was givin to be at fault and givin a citation for not yeilding to row into approaching traffic turning left which i stated i was already turning when he slammed into my huge truck and spun me all the way around and into the ditch what should i do about getting information like his speed at the time he hit me and his insurance information i wasnt provided and how can i prove my case to the judge to show that if he wasnt speeding then the accident would of been avoided,& i could of turned

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Doug Goyen
Doug Goyen
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Addison, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: 1. First, it does not matter who was at fault in an auto accident, you are entitled to get the identification and insurance information of any other drivers involved in your auto accident. The law in Texas is that drivers are required to exchange this information - regardless of who the police feel who is at fault. See Texas Transp Code:

Texas Transportation Code Sec. 550.023. DUTY TO GIVE INFORMATION AND RENDER AID. The operator of a vehicle involved in an accident resulting in the injury or death of a person or damage to a vehicle that is driven or attended by a person shall:

(1) give the operator's name and address, the registration number of the vehicle the operator was driving, and the name of the operator's motor vehicle liability insurer to any person injured or the operator or occupant of or person attending a vehicle involved in the collision;

(2) if requested and available, show the operator's driver's license to a person described by Subdivision (1) . . .

2. You should contact a personal injury lawyer in your area to talk to them about liability issues - the issues you describe place you in a difficult situation that is hard to win - failure to yield is easier to prove than speed without eye witnesses or video helping you out.

If you received a citation - contact a criminal defense lawyer that handles traffic tickets.

If the police wrote a police report you can order a copy online at the Texas Department of Transportation here:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.