Dayton, OH asked in Animal / Dog Law for Ohio

Q: We found a stray dog that we have been taking care of for a week. The local shelters would not take him.

We went to the house where we suspected the dog lived twice. We were informed by the woman in the house that the dog belongs to her brother who is homeless and on drugs. She told my boyfriend to keep the dog because she couldn't take it. We have had the dog for 1 week, and the alleged owner is claiming that it is his dog. What can we do to prevent this dog from running the streets again? We have paid for vet bills and care. This dog was running the streets in Dayton, Ohio for 2 months.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Popp
Andrew Popp
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: If it's his dog and wants it back, you have no right to refuse him. Dogs are treated like personal property under the law with few exceptions. If the dog is running lose, you can contact animal control if you're concerned. Otherwise, if he agrees to give you ownership you can take the dog to a shelter, or see if you can find someone to adopt it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.