Asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: I'm being charged with count 1 obstructing officer - a misdemeanor in oklahoma.

I stood there in one spot at least six or eight feet away, just begging and pleading with them to go a little easier on my wife, there was four cops on her, they had her face down in the dirt, they were hurting her, I was afraid for her,as her husband I was just trying to protect her. Will I be going to jail for that??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tracy Tiernan
Tracy Tiernan
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Difficult to say without learning more about the facts and your background. I think in most cases like you’ve described jail time is not warranted. If you have a clean record most attorneys would have a chance to negotiate a disposition where you might even get a dismissal of the charges after a period of probation. You need to consult a seasoned criminal defense attorney.

Charles Watts agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.