Frisco, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: Power of Attorney to act in legal matters in texas court?

Hi, I am in texas and I want my brother to act of my behalf in my childsupport and alimony cases in court. I am so tired of the defendant s threats and harassments.

I donot want to see his face during hearings anymore or talk. I want my brother to act and attends court hearings on my behalf. I want him to take decisions too.

Is it ok? Will the court allow this? What's the process?

1 Lawyer Answer
Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I suppose you could do this, but it's unlikely that having someone else act for you would end any "threats and harassments" by the other side. In addition, there will likely be times when your personal presence is required - such as for testimony. Your absence even at other times is likely to affect how the judge perceives your case. In other words, if you don't think that your claims or defenses are worth your time to appear in court, why should the judge take them more seriously than you do?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.