Newport News, VA asked in Civil Litigation and Collections for Virginia

Q: Can I be sued for a debt that is over 13 years old? I have no record of the account, nor does the original issuer.

I have received no letter despite being informed they sent one. They called from four different numbers, but left the same message at my number, my wife’s, my mother in law, and my mother in the same day within minutes.

We did return the call but insisted we did not know of the debt. My wife took down the details but didn’t agree to pay nor make a payment plan.

We were advised that they would file a suit against us in three days.

Original account was in OK, we now reside in VA.

We checked our credit report and the debt is not there; we also spoke with the original issuer who has no records of it either.

They did not give us an address, and the number they had us call back is not showing up registered to any business via google search.

What actions should we take to protect ourselves?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
F. Paul Maloof
F. Paul Maloof
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: In Virginia, the Statute of Limitations for a written contract/agreement is 5 years. The Statute of Limitations for an unwritten/oral agreement is 3 years. The defense of a Statute of Limitations is an affirmative defense that must be asserted in opposition to the claim of the other party.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.