Mabelvale, AR asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Civil Litigation and Probate for Arkansas

Q: If a couple bought a house 34 years ago and husband died 33 years ago. The wife never remarried. Is it her house?

The husband did not have a will. And it never went through probate. But she never took his name off of the house. The wife recently died with one surviving son, who has and was living in the house for 27 out of 34 years. And now the husband's children want there part of the house. She also dyed without a will. But the husbands children think they deserve money for the house.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN

A: More than likely the wife took the fee as the surviving tenant by the entirety, which would mean her heirs own it as tenants in common. But it all depends on what estate was created when they purchased it. Hire a competent AR attorney to search the title.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.