Oklahoma City, OK asked in Child Custody for Oklahoma

Q: Can a father be absent for 6 months has no bond with child an hasn't supported child get rights still?

Sons dad met him one time for ten minutes right after he was born. He moved to Florida an hasn't seen him since. He's now 7 months old an the dad is demanding that my son goes to Florida in March with out me an wants his social. An sent 50$ through cash app today for child support an has only paid 20$ before that. Can he still take me to court an get on the birth certificate an get any custody or visitation rights or can his rights be terminated since he pretty much abandoned our son an moved to Florida.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Yes, the father can file a Paternity action and request the court to enter a custody, visitation, and child support order. The court will award custody and visitation based on what the court determines to be in the best interest of the child. Child support will be based off the gross income of both parents and the costs of health insurance and child care.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.