Saint Augustine, FL asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Florida

Q: Wife walked out on me and daughters

We - myself, my wife of 22 years, eldest daughter 21 and twin girls 16 - immigrated to St Augustine FL from South Africa in March 2020 via sponsorship by my brother. We all have permanent residence green card. A couple of months ago my wife got a new job and on the day the twins came home from school for summer break she announced she was leaving. She moved into a cottage downtown and my eldest daughter is now staying with her. The twins are still with me. I suspect she is having an affair with her new boss. She sees the twins as often as she likes as per mutual agreement, I would not like to put any obstacle in the way of them seeing their mother. She brings a couple of packets of groceries about once a month - I estimate about $140 worth in total. Other than that she makes no child support payments to me. I am suffering financially and emotionally and I would like to get this resolved as soon as possible. Please help me someone. Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Camila Martin
Camila Martin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Miami Lakes, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage and request that the Court sets a timesharing with your daughters and their mother and establishes child support.

DISCLAIMER: The answer provided here do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made are based on the limited facts you have provided and are general statements that might not be applicable to your case based on other factors. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and you should consult with a local attorney. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in the State of Florida. Camila Martin, Esq.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.