Rutherford, NJ asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for New Jersey

Q: I have a 16 yr old granddaughter whom was living with her mother in GA. Her mom kicked her out and sent her to her fathe

To NJ. Granddaughter wants to live with father. Mother refused to send docs to father. As her maternal grandmother can I ask the court for a law guardian for my Granddaughter. Father can't get birth certificate, his name isn't on it. My daughter wants her daughter to live hard. Job corps is not for a straight A student. With covid my Granddaughter had to stay home alone while my daughter worked. I want my Granddaughter to have a chance at college going to job corps does not afford that. My husband have been taking care of her since 6 months old on and off. We can take her and provide a proper education and a decent place to live. What can I do? Mother in Georgia and Father in Paterson. My Granddaughter deserves a chance! Thank you for your consideration.

1 Lawyer Answer
Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Mount Laurel, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Thank you for your question. I am so sorry that you and your granddaughter have to go through this stressful time.

The most direct answer is you can file a grandparents rights application and request formal custody of your granddaughter. Then the court can order your daughter to turn over the proper documents. You may also want to establish that you and your husband are psychological parents.

Her father could also file an application to determine paternity so that he can be added to the birth certificate, and receive a formal order granting him physical custody.

The best way to have your unique situation evaluated and receive legal advice is to schedule a free consultation with an experienced family law attorney so that you can discuss all of your options and make an informed decision as to how to move forward.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.