Dallas, TX asked in Consumer Law for Texas

Q: What should I do if a private dealer sold me a car without telling me it had issues.

I recently bought a kia sorento 2012 from a private dealer. They sold it to me as is with no warranty but did not mention that it had 4 bad tires that were 10 years old and that the oil pan was leaking. It also had 3 recalls on it that they never mentioned. I have had it for literally 10 days and don't know what to do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Leroy Scott
Leroy Scott
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Next time you purchase a vehicle, get a prepurchase inspection so you have an idea of what issues the car has BEFORE you buy it.

For the car you bought, if the tires are bad, you just need to get new tires. If there are open recalls, just bring the vehicle to the dealer so they can address the recalls. Regarding oil leak, that's a bit more complicated. On one hand, you bought the car "as is" with the leak and old tires. On the other hand, you may have a claim under the deceptive trade practices act if the seller tricked you or lied to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.