Birmingham, AL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Alabama

Q: I have reached my 60 day of not receiving my security deposit. How can i file to recieve double the deposit owed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: If you have not already I would send a letter to your landlord making a specific request for your deposit back, and if they refuse an accounting of the defects they allege account for not returning said deposit. Give a time limit to respond. You may want to send it certified mail so that you can prove they received it.

Assuming no response you can probably file your complaint with the small claims court. I would request court costs on top of the deposit.

Keep in mind that suing a landlord may cause them to file a counter claim against your for damage to the property that exceeded the security deposit or some other damage caused by a breach of the contract. So file the suit at your own risk.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.