Jacksonville, FL asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Florida

Q: Please read below, thank you in advance

I need a consultation regarding my landlord that I've been renting a room for about 2 months. I've been unable to stay this entire month because she filed false allegations against me that caused an injunction. I've read that filing false allegations are criminal and I intend to sue to get my place back so that I can move forward with my life. This is a defamation of character case. I'm really upset that she would do this to me for no apparent reason other than a direct retaliation because I had to contact the police since she changed the locks illegally. She also turned my internet service off & affected my other roommate too which I know is illegal. Finally, she's taken my room captive & allows herself to go in my room whenever she wants. She has these unrealistic expectations of all the roommates that come and go. She expects us to clean every corner of every part of the house we use. I need a bulldog attorney that is going to go to bat for me for my tenant rights

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I am certain that there are many experienced lawyers who will litigate a small claims case against your obnoxious landlord; however, not for free. Why?

(1) Because the amount of money involved is way too small; and

(2) because they cannot collect their fees from the landlord;

(3) they would rather use their very valuable time litigating better cases.

FYI, you can litigate your own small claims case without needing a lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.