Valley, AL asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for Alabama

Q: It's a wood storage building licensed as a gun store business I cut into the back of it with a skill saw I never entered

Is it a 3rd degree burglary in Alabama I never entered or took anything I only damaged the building by cutting a square in the back of it I gave up and left when I couldn't get into it

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Craig Johnson
Nelson Craig Johnson
  • Cullman, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: (a) A person commits the crime of burglary in the third degree if any of the following occur:

(1) He or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a dwelling with the intent to commit a crime therein;

(2) He or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in an occupied building with the intent to commit a crime therein; or

(3) He or she knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in an unoccupied building with the intent to commit a crime therein.

(b) Burglary in the third degree is a Class C felony.

Sounds like there are several crimes you could be convicted of; however, if you never entered the property then burglary does not appear to be one that would apply. The only foreseeable arguement I could see a district attorney making is that the saw entered the building and was an extension of you.

You should consult an attorney for specific advise in your case, but I think this is a case that could likely be plead down to a misdemeanor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.