Redford, MI asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: Hi, what is the first step in filing a personal representative in probate court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The FIRST step is to determine if Probate is even necessary.

IF the deceased person had no assets in his or her name ALONE and there was no beneficiary named on assets that can be so titled (Bank accounts, insurances etc.) THEN probate may be needed.

The NEXT step would be to determine what sort of Probate is needed. If the estate is small enough, there may not be a need for 'full' probate and a PR need not be appointed.

The BEST advice I can give is to consult with a local probate attorney to review all the facts and the property at issue and determine if probate is needed and what sort. THEN you can get into the details of what to do and how to do it. Again, hiring an attorney familiar with the process will save you much headache in the long run. Please consider that!

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Anthony M. Avery agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.