Kyle, TX asked in Real Estate Law for Texas

Q: I'm needing to transfer deed of parent by affidavit of heirship. Is there a timeframe of death for filing?

There's no will or durable power of attorney. Parent's was living with me at time of death; 17 mos. Do I file in Hays Cty or place of property Victoria Cty?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: This question needs a little more information to give a full answer.

The question does not state who is asking. Is it the child of deceased, husband, boyfriend, or other. Status is very important when trying to answer a question on inheritance. There needs to be information on any siblings of the deceased, or other children, and more family details.

What I can tell you with certainty, is that whether you file an affidavit of heirship or a deed to the property, it must be filed with the Clerk in the same county where the property is located.

If you give me the family tree, and dates of death, marriage, divorce and the like, I can give a more complete answer.

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: An affidavit of heirship does not transfer property, but merely gives notice of who the heirs are, which depends on the factors mentioned by Mr. Cucci. It should be filed in the county where the property is located, and there is no deadline for doing so.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.