Rockledge, FL asked in Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Texas

Q: Can I pursue charges of bigamy? I believe my ex has been stalling our divorce to avoid child support of our 2 kids.

After fighting for jurisdiction of our divorce, and the courts closing down last year for coronavirus, my ex has has been uncooperative with my attorney in order to get our divorce before a judge and finalized. We’re currently headed to mediation. However, I just found out that he “remarried “ this past July from social media. He and the girl already live together and had a fill out ceremony and honeymoon, though I’m not sure they filed for a marriage license or not. Can I use this as leverage in my case and/or pursue bigamy charges? He’s well aware that I’m alive and well and that we’re not yet divorced.

1 Lawyer Answer
Omar Darwich
Omar Darwich
  • El Paso, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should contact an attorney but generally speaking bigamy is actually a criminal offense under Texas law, although a defendant can escape conviction if they reasonably believed they were not already married when they entered their second marriage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.