Portland, OR asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Oregon

Q: 1. How do I get a dui and reckless endangermeant reduced?2. How am I able to get neglect taken off my record?

I was charged with a dui and reckless endangermeant while I was on my prescription medication I didn't have an accident but was swerving on the highway with my daughter in the backseat. I don't remember anything about the incident. I have much more details about the case and that day but thats the gist. Can anyone help me with some good advice?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Virgil Royer
Virgil Royer
  • Salem, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: First, and foremost, consider yourself blessed that nothing worse happened and your daughter is alright and safe, as are you. Second, the fact you "don't remember anything about the incident" is troubling. But, it highlights the seriousness of what occurred. The fact that you were caught now allows a discussion about whether you've done this before and got away with it? Any type of driving impairment is to be avoided at all costs--but more so when a child is involved. A good attorney should be able to help you avoid the worst punishment and might be able to get the reckless driving erased. There might be valid defenses to the medication (DUII) charge depending on the medication dose and how it is quantified. However, a good attorney will also be sure you learned from this incident by counseling you about the dangers--not just to your family, but others on the road. Third, these types of incidents are usually excluded from expungement due to the need of the public to be safe from unsafe drivers and insurance companies who rely on accurate information to make policy decisions. Just find yourself a lawyer you trust, and fight hard, because this is a serious matter with serious consequences (fortunately you avoided the biggest) and you will be the better for taking this to heart and vowing to never drive impaired again. Be safe and take good care of your daughter. You'll never regret it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.