Austin, TX asked in Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice and Wrongful Death for Texas

Q: I first have to ask why? Tx will allow me 5 yrs to charge a man with robbing my house. But a doctor can

Overpump me with inducing meds till I rupture killing baby and I. Leaving broken parts inside causing terrible pain and years of torture and irreparable damage to my health though I have no clue for years later cause I’m no doc…….. how come I can only do something for two years ?????

1 Lawyer Answer
Leroy Scott
Leroy Scott
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The two-year period starts from the day you knew or should have known (if you had looked into your symptoms to see what was wrong) that the doctor had left something inside you, not from the date that the doctor actually left the parts in you. In other words, it is 2 years after you discovered that there was a problem (or would have discovered if you had looked).

To answer your question, there are simply different reasons for having different timeframes. You just have to learn which timeframe applies to your situation. Considering that all criminal cases have to be brought by the government (i.e. 1000s of crimes and all the accused need to have speedy trials), maybe the government simply needs more time. For personal injury cases, there are few reasons a person cannot file a lawsuit within 2 years after they realized they have a claim. The law also has different situations in which the 2-year can be extended.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.