Q: Is this possible and how can I fix this or what do I do?

My father passed away unexpectedly a couple months ago. June 12th to be exact and a month later after his funeral, I filed intestate probate as he had no will. He had debt and expenses, but his parents took care of it. After legally doing all the paperwork for probate it was done within 3 weeks afterwards. Public records are online in a case file etc. I went to get my fathers vehicles which he both owned. Name on registration especially on one of his muscle cars. His parents told me he signed it over before he died and that the paperwork was still in probate. Which didn't make sense if he signed it over before his demise (not when he was on death bed he was in a clinical coma) then the registration would be done. They refuse to show any proof of paperwork. They are much richer than me. I have nothing of my father. They already sold everything of his and took it for themselves. As his PR and Executor, I feel as though I've been cheated. They only cared for the money. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you are appointed Personal Representative of his estate you can and should obtain information from the Registry of Motor Vehicles about the title and transfer information. If assets or monies were stolen from the estate then you may be advised to pursue the parents depending upon whether the sum involved to obtain restitution through litigation is appreciably less than what was taken from the estate. Are there no other children? This is unclear in your presentation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.